The wife of architect Bernard De Clerck discovered this empty, remote farmhouse in Flanders.
The couple immediately fell in love with the quiet location and the pristine condition of the buildings in 1833. They would spend the hot summers there ... But as the works progressed, they exchanged their Directoire house for this farmstead to live there through the year.
The buildings themselves were thoroughly and respectfully restored. The character of the house with its rather small rooms was preserved. All interior carpentry, doors, cupboards, shelves and fireplace frames were meticulously restored.
This beautiful restoration project is one of the highlights of our new book THE AUTHENTIC HOME, published in July 2021 and featuring 15 exceptional private residences from all over the world.
Photography: Hendrik Biegs